Join Boy Scouting
Boys ages 11-17
Join Venture Crew
Young Men & Women
The Scuba Diving merit badge station will be available during most of the ScubaJam and will be conducted by a current Scuba Diving merit badge counselor.
1. Before ScubaJam, earn the Swimming merit badge.
2. Earn an Open Water Diver Certification from a scuba organization recognized by the Boy Scouts of America scuba policy. Ideally this should be completed before ScubaJam.
3. Do the following:
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while scuba diving, including hypothermia, hyperventilation, squeezes, decompression illness, nitrogen narcosis, motion sickness, fatigue, overexertion, heart reactions, dehydration, injuries by aquatic life, and cuts and scrapes. - Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person, and explain how to recognize such conditions. - Demonstrate the proper techniques for performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
4. Discuss the Scuba Divers Code with your merit badge counselor, and explain the importance of each guideline to a scuba diver's safety.
5. Explain what an ecosystem is, and describe four aquatic ecosystems a diver might experience.
6. Find out about three career opportunities in the scuba industry.
- Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. - Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
Participants of ScubaJam will have the opportunity to work on and complete the Scuba Diving merit badge. See the Scuba Diving merit badge requirements below. Just like any other merit badge, having a copy of the merit badge book in advance helps you complete the requirements.
You should also bring a "blue card" signed by your Scoutmaster allowing you to work on the merit badge. Please be aware there are two Scuba Diving merit badge requirements that cannot be completed at ScubaJam: #1 - earn the swimming merit badge and #2 - earn Open Water Diver Certification. Bring your completed swimming merit badge card (or a note from your Scoutmaster indicating that you have earned the swimming merit badge) and your diving certification card (needed for ScubaJam anyway) to get those requirements signed-off.
1754 Timberwood Blvd
Charlottesville, VA 22911
Fax - 434-964-9349
Labor Day Weekend
Sept 1-4, 2017
Lake Phoenix, Virginia